How to Choose the Right Supplement
In the past 50 years, usage of dietary supplements has increased from just over 20% to 65% of the U.S. population.
But with heaps of options out there, it can be hard to choose the right supplement. Many factors come into play - from knowing how to recognise quality, to choosing a potent product. Plus, not everyone has the same needs.
In this blog we set out to equip you with the knowledge you need to choose the right supplements for you.
Why take supplements
Before taking a supplement you should assess what exactly you need it for. There are several reasons one might choose to supplement.
- Lifestyle. Looking for increased fitness? Increased focus? Better sleep?
- Health. With our severely depleted soils, even if you have a balanced diet, you could still be lacking in essential nutrients.
- Dietary restrictions. Vegans, for instance, can struggle to get B12 in their diet. People with food allergies sometimes need to supplement to get what they can’t from food.
- Geographical location. Some vitamins are tricky to obtain depending on where you are in the world. For instance, if you live in a cold country with little sunlight in the winter, Vitamin D is hard to get.
- Medical. Some medications can inhibit the absorption of certain nutrients.
- Genetic individuality. Your age, gender, whether you’re pregnant or breastfeeding... These factors can influence your required nutrient intake.
Looking out for quality
Not all supplements are created equal, and several factors come into play when choosing a quality product.
Look out for added nasties in the product. Some brands add in unnecessary additives to “bulk up” their supplements, so they’re cheaper to produce.
Some of these additives include gluten, BHT (to improve shelf-life) flavourings and colourings.
Also seek GMO-free supplements. Not all countries regulate the labelling of GMO-products though, so you’ll want to research the company’s brand and ethos. Find out whether or not they do use GMO ingredients.
At Onnor, we use only the highest-quality, non-GMO ingredients (and they’re gluten-free!).
Safety and quality
Supplements aren't regulated as strictly as you might think, so some companies can slip through the cracks of quality control. This means the onus often ends up on the consumer to do their research about the company!
The good news is that many companies out there are committed to providing honest, high-quality products. And those are the types of companies that readily provide information about the quality of their supplements.
You can find ours below:
Each batch of Onnor products is subject to a Certificate of Analysis, which includes being third-party tested for quality. So you know it contains what it says it contains.
All products meet Good Manufacturing Practice standards and are produced in an FDA-registered facility.
Also be sure to check that the recommended dosage is supported by science. Higher dosages don’t always mean higher potency.
How to tell if they’re working
Here’s the tricky part:
How do you know if your supplements are working?
The thing is, you can’t always tell.
Depending on what you’re taking and why, you might not see results.
Sometimes taking supplements just means bringing the body back to basic health.
Having said that, there are some things you can do to track your body changes - particularly if you’re supplementing for a specific result.
- Keep a journal. Changes happen incrementally over time, and as such can be very slight and hard to notice. By journaling, you can track these changes.
- Blood tests. Take a blood test before you begin supplementing, to take stock of your nutrient levels. Check your blood again after about 6 months. Your body doesn’t lie!
- Start by taking just one supplement or blend. This will make it easier to track changes and attribute them to the correct source. Gradually introduce more concoctions as you go on.
We’re proud to say that our products are tried and tested, and we’ve had lots of glowing reviews for our supplements. This means people are feeling the difference, and seeing their mental and physical performance maximised as a result of taking our products. And that’s why we do what we do!
But what you really need to remember is to be patient.
In some cases when people embark on a health journey they’re looking at breaking years worth of bad habits or damage done to their body.
This takes time.
Healing is not linear.
And don’t forget to adjust your lifestyle! It’s great to take magnesium to help with your sleep, but if you’re staring at a screen and exposed to a high-stimulus environment right up until bedtime, the supplements can only do so much! Consider a pair of blue-light blocker glasses.
Top 4 supplements to start with
So what if you’re ready to embark on your supplement journey, but you’re not sure where to start?
Here are a few supplements that come highly recommended by health practitioners.
Why not start with these?
Vitamin D is one of the minerals with the most deficiency, worldwide. Yet it’s incredibly important for our proper functioning.
Vitamin D should always be taken with K2, for reasons we explain in our recent blog on the topic.
It’s difficult to get enough Vitamin C from food sources, since cooking and storing often depletes even the foods with the highest Vitamin C content. Yet it plays a vital part in supporting our immune system.
Try our Battle ONN Immune Support for your daily dose of Vitamins C, K2 and D3.
Around 70% of Brits are magnesium-deficient and up to half of Americans. It’s a mineral that is needed for many body processes.
Now you know how to choose the right supplement for you!
So what are you waiting for? Time to take control of your health! 💪
Head to our shop and get started.